Sunday 26 July 2009

Music to my ears...

Spotify really is rather brilliant. Ever since downloading it months and months ago when I was told about it by my good mate Simon, its significantly improved my everyday life. The amount of times I've arrived back from a lecture, knackered, and pleasured/damaged my ears with two clicks of a mouse (much to my flatmates' delight/anger) is uncountable.

I felt pretty cool and helpful when I explained to my best friends all the lovely features of it, and as predicted, they downloaded it and instantly loved it. Now it seems that everyone is enjoying the benefits of an expansive, free library of music that they can fire up whenever they want.
The creator of this beautiful little program is very clever indeed. But for what reason was it made? Obviously for people like myself to indulge in their favourite music, but aside from that, what gain is there?

Some think that Spotify could be seen as a potential antidote to the poison that is illegal downloading (poison that I must say I have drank many times, naughty me). If people are given a free program to use to listen to all the music they can think of, surely illegal file sharing will stop? Well if that's the aim then it will fail for sure. Don't they realise everyone has an iPod?
Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a political debate about the ethics of Spotify, it is instead a little "I love you" to the revolutionary application.

The amount of people it must please is a wonderful thing. Your grandfather could listen to Sinatra and Elvis, your sister Girls Aloud and so on and so forth, all on the same program. From the Spice Girls to The Velvet Underground to Napalm Death, they're all there.
Now and again, and I mean very rarely, you will find yourself disappointed to find nothing when searching for a band/artist, but this really is a rarity.
If you live on Mars and haven't heard of Spotify, you need to pull your finger out your arse and get it, NOW. You really will be thankful when you do.

2 comments:

  1. Advertising and MP3 downloads mate. Every time someone downloads a track linked to spotify they earn a few pennies. And of course ad revenues are pretty high. And I guess a few people are stupid enough to sign up to the 10 quid a month subscription thing.


    Still, mint though isn't it. I use it more than iTunes now probably.

    Did I tell you about it? Can't remember.


    simon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did mate, my friend chris mentioned it to me i think but you were the one who said i should get it, it was in sinclair's!
    hope you're well lad, be good to see you again in september when i'm back. x

    ReplyDelete