Tuesday 12 July 2011

When you wake up, you will find me...

The Horrors have just brought out their third full-length LP, intriguingly entitled "Skying". To be honest I didn't really know what to expect with this one. I've never been a fan of their first album - I don't really think they did their garage/punk attempt much justice really. When I saw them upon their emergence back in 2006/07, I thought they looked like a bunch of twats with their uber-hipster gothic look and massive hair do's. I gave them a chance though, and listened to their album, and despite being a fan of 60's garage, I really didn't dig what they were doing.

So I surprised myself when I listened to their second album, "Primary Colours" in 2009, and surprised myself even more when I found that I really enjoyed it. They'd changed direction and broadened their horizons, expanding their pretty simple guitar/organ-based sound into a mash of shoegaze/krautrock, awash in wall-of-sound noise and boasting some anthemic choruses. My Bloody Valentine and Ride sprang to mind, which was not only interesting but pretty fresh at the time, and I certainly didn't expect The Horrors of all people to adopt that type of sound.

A mixed bag thus far then, until now with "Skying", which I have to say is another rewarding departure for the band. There are way more synths in this record than in "Primary Colours" and less guitars, although there are still some tasty and memorable riffs in there. The bass sounds excellent (again), and proves that simplicity can sometimes be better than complexity, just as the Pixies did back in the day. Faris Badwan's vocals haven't changed an awful lot since the second album, and still rides along the music very well.

I've heard the album three times now and can't make up my mind in deciding which songs are my personal highlights, as they seem to creep up on you as you listen more. It was good the first time round, but its definitely a grower, which can only be good news. The first half of the album is probably stronger than the second, setting up a curious and infectious atmosphere for the second half and flaunting some uplifting basslines. "You Said", "Endless Blue" and "Dive In" are all magnificent, and Badwan's vocals can only be described as sexy as they strain with passion over the rising crescendos. This album is definitely a good choice for shagging your partner to.

I had a lot of confidence in the record as soon as I heard the brilliant single "Still Life" (minimalist, dreamy pop) and it has thoroughly impressed me. They've eased into some unfamiliar territory and can now safely say that they have incorporated pop music into their sound, and have definitely kept me guessing as to where they might go next. "Skying" is one of the stronger albums of summer 2011, so far anyway, and I'm looking forward to playing it more often in the coming months. And finally, the artwork is bloody lovely, a proper treat for the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment